- 1Kg , 2 Pound Fish (2-3 Pomfret, 2-3 Mackerel are ideal). Small size fish would be good in this preparation
- 1-1.5 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 Red chilies (based on spice level)
- 2-5 green chillies (based on spice level)
- 1 tablespoon(s) coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped garlic
- few fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Clean the fish, make horizontal slits which are not deep, and one side way slit from the gill area till tail going side-by-side for putting masala inside. Make sure you don't cut the fish in to 2 halves.
- Put some salt, lemon juice and keep it for 30-45 minutes.
- Fry 2 to 8 for about 2 minutes and then grind it to fine paste with 10 and 1 table spoon lemon with little water, paste has to be thick.
- Apply the masala to inside the fish and outside.
- Place the masala applied fish on the banana leaf. Carefully tie fish with thread so that it stays intact.
- Now there are 2 ways to proceed. a) can steam the fish with banana leaf in idli or any steamer, b) shallow fry for 1-2 minutes and bake it in oven for few minutes.
You can sprinkle little fresh lemon or give "tadka" of curry-leaves and green chillies for further spicying this.